In #HopeStreet #Brunswick, there’s this ! A #retorthouse, built for the #BrunswickGasWorks in 1891. This was the building in which the coke (a type of coal) was heated to produce the gas that went on to fire up steer lights, and maybe stoves too. One of only 2 left in Victoria, the other a much simpler later one in Bendigo. This site became the #LuxFoundry in 1906, then #CraigandSeeley in 1963, finally closing in 2001. Once industrial now #postindustrial, with cafe, offices, and native trees !