Original post 12 February 2020
Managed a snap of this from the car passenger window, a #drivebyshooting. A fine monument for this busy corner, and what’s more quite intact, all the ground floor included, which is unusual. Prob lost some urns from the parapet. This was the #SouthYarra Club hotel, from the 1850s until 1933, then various names up the Arcadia since 1995. It was completely rebuilt in 1892, right at the end of the boom, just before the crash of the 1890s. Presumably by R S O’Brien. But by the mid 1890s it was run by Mr Goodwin, after whom it was renamed after he died by the next licensee, in 1933.