Right down the far end of the Docklands is this ! The (abandoned) Shipping Control Tower. Plans for one of the last bits of the Docklands recently approved (with buildings higher than originally envisaged of course); but at least they clearly show the retention of the 1966 Shipping Control Tower, never officially heritage listed, future uncertain (in an Eco Park?). No details on what it might be used for (perhaps nothing given OHS issues) but the views from there are good right now – as seen in the Hidden Melbourne.com website interactive.
The 2012 Docklands CMP by Lovell Chen identified its exact date and architect :
“The Shipping Control Tower, which replaced an earlier timber octagonal watch tower of 1934, was designed by architect C J Smith. It was constructed of reinforced concrete, with a lift and stairs, and comprised two decks – one for observation duties containing radar and communication equipment, the other being for amenities for its 24-hour a day operation. The control centre also provided an automated telephone service providing shipping information to the public, a service that proved immensely popular with 116,995 calls taken in the first year. The tower was officially opened in April 1966 by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Rohan Delacombe.”